Amazon.com Widgets

Burdick


Situated in southwestern Morris County on the edge of the Flint Hills, the area was first settled by Swedish immigrants in the 1880s. The town got its start as a station on the Strong City & Superior division of theAtchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad and was first called Linsdale.



However, by the time the settlement gained a post office in August, 1887, the settlement was called Burdick. By 1910, the town had a population of about 225 people and boasted a bank, a money order post office, telegraph and express offices, and several churches. At its peak, it also sported a grocery store, general store, two banks, and both a grade school and a high school. The Burdick High School closed in 1957, sending its students to school at Lincolnville in Marion County. The grade school continued into the 1960s, when those students were also sent to Lincolnville. Today, all that remains are the Burdick Meat Locker, a family-owned business since 1921 that is known for its meat processing, beef jerky, and potato sausage; and the Burdick Oil Company, a family owned, full-service gas station and ranch supply that celebrated its 60th anniversary in 2008. though Burdick is an unincorporated community, it still maintains a post office. It is located about 27 miles southwest of Council Grove.

 

Source: http://www.legendsofkansas.com/morriscountytowns.html#Burdick



, Kansas

There are 45 Ghost Towns nearby








Location should be good!!!

38.563670054963445, -96.84551239013672



Comments





Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-Mail
Real Time Web Analytics